Léger de Foucheret
towery | Bazoches
Léger de Foucheret became Saint Léger Vauban by
imperial ordinance on 7 décember 1867
on the picture to enlarge it
Léger de Foucheret (Yonne)
Prestre, later to be known as Marquis of Vauban and a field marshal, was born in May 1633 to Urbain Le Prestre and Edme Cormignolle and baptised in Saint Léger de Foucheret church. The village was renamed Saint Léger Vauban after an imperial decree was issued by Napoléon III on December 7th 1867.
Vauban spent a simple, peaceful childhood among the children of the village. The priest of the village taught him to read and write.
10, Vauban was sent to stay with a relative, the Abbé de Fontaine, near Montbard for further
education. He is said to have attented the Carmes white friars college in Semur en Auxois where he was taught mathematics,
drawing and fortification (a compulsory subject at that time in many
schools). Vauban said later of himself in Abrégé des services that he was "rather good at mathematics and fortification" and "not too bad at drawing".
When he was
18, in 1651, he was introduced to the Prince of Condé, then the governor of Burgundy and the main leader of the Fronde (a rebellion of feudal lords and princes against the centralised royal power and prime minister Cardinal Mazarin).
That is how the man, who was to become one of King Louis XIV 's most devoted and most highly appreciated servants, started his military career in the service of the
In 1660, Vauban married in Epiry Jeanne d'Osnay, a noble woman from the Morvan. They had three children : Charlotte (in 1661), Jeanne-Françoise (1678) and a son (in 1682 ) who died when 2 months
Today, the only trace of Vauban that remains in Epiry is the tower where the couple lived before buying the Bazoches
by Denis AUGER (taken from Vauban...
et le Morvan)
at the begining of the XVth century, this
powerful rectangular tower
in the XVIIth century to the Le Peletier d'Aunay
to Mr Yves BÉZILLE.
In 1675, thanks to the money the King gave him after the taking of Maestricht, Vauban bought the Bazoches castle, a property that belonged to his great-grand-father, Count de la
Ferrière. But he spent very little time there, as his role as chief military engineer took him all over the kingdom, to fortify its borders. However, in 1690, he spent a full year at the castle, recovering from the exhaustion of wars and his extensive travelling throughout France.
There, he also wrote
Les Oisivetés Leisures - a collection of 12 volumes, dealing with numerous and various subjects such as the colonies, forestry, rivers, waterways and religion),
Project for a Royal tithe (tax) as well as the Geographical
Description of the Vézelay
E. Sadoux 20th century
Vauban died in Paris, on March 30th 1707 and was buried in Bazoches church, on April 16th.
As was the custom then, his heart was buried separately under the church altar.
certificate of Vauban
On Napoléon I 's order, it was removed from there, some 100 years later, in 1804, and taken to the Invalides in Paris, where it is now
on the pictures to enlarge them
||In 1873, the town of Avallon erected a statue of Vauban in the main square. This statue is by Bartholdi, the same man who built the statue of Liberty in
||In 1900, a bust of Vauban was carved to stand in front of the church of
in 1905, a statue by Anatole Guillot was erected in his home village, Saint Léger Vauban.
During the Second World
War, an encampment of clandestine Resistance workers near Saint- Agnan, a little village next to Saint Léger, was named Maquis Vauban.